Having a baby means having to bring life and love into the world. However, as wonderful and beautiful babies are, having a baby means caring for someone else—changing the baby’s diaper, feeding the baby, but also taking care of the baby’s health—including your baby’s skin. The minute they’re born, babies require special attention in regards to their health. Babies require special skin care attention in order to ensure it not only builds up to protect from sun damage, but to also fight off any possible infections.
Unlike adults, newborn babies don’t have to worry about going to work, cleaning, or working up a sweat for that matter. Because of the small amount of activity babies conduct, they hardly need to shower every day. In fact, WebMD states that the less baths the better. Try to give them a bath less than three times a week.
Baby Products and Labels
You may be well aware now that because of the baby’s delicate skin, it requires certain procedures or ingredients to keep an eye on. According to Baby Center, there are a couple basics to ensuring your baby and their skin is out of harm’s way from chemical reactions or rashes. Ingredients are always listed in descending order according to concentration, so those listed first will be present in the largest amounts.” So if you ever wonder how much of olive oil or shea butter skin care companies use, just remember that the higher the amount, the higher up on the ingredient list. This also goes for using the right kind of laundry detergent when it comes to baby’s clothes. According to WebMD, “Use only baby laundry detergents that are fragrance- and dye-free. Wash baby clothes, bedding, and blankets separately from the family’s laundry.” Doing so is going to add extra protection for your baby’s delicate skin from ever getting a rash from any sort of chemical that your normal detergent may have, but also washing them before they wear it is going to prevent any possible irritations. Let’s also not forget that our clothes are more likely to be dirtier than an infant’s, so mixing in our clothes with a baby’s is not a good idea.
Not every baby will have the same reaction to a diaper rash, just as most babies don’t like the cold weather, while others prefer warmer temperatures. Whatever season your baby enjoys, here are some helpful tips to keep in mind for Summer and Winter that Parents goes by.
Baby’s Skin in the Summer
- Use a sunscreen higher that SPF 15 and reapply every 40 minutes if out in the pool. Research which sunscreen product will not only protect your baby’s skin from the sun, but also a product that will not cause irritation to your baby’s skin. You want to avoid ingredients such as para-aminobenzoic (PABA) cinnamates, benzophenones, and anthranilates.
- Minor sunburns can cause a lot of damage to baby’s skin because of their delicateness. Keep an eye out for redness, and protect your baby with sun essentials such as a hat or umbrella.
Baby’s Skin in the Winter
- Sunscreen even on cloudy days is necessary because UV rays never stop from emitting onto the skin
- Don’t overdo it with the jackets and coats. Although your child may be cold, just remember—babies can also get heat rashes because of clogged sweat glands.
- Chapped lips are common in babies because they’re always licking or drooling, so make sure to have lip balm at hand!
- After a long day out in the cold, your baby may experience redness in the face or areas of chafing. Keep their skin moisturized before and after out in the cold weather in order to prevent redness.
Clear Essence Baby Products
Clear Essence offers skin care products for your little bundles of joy! Our Clear Essence Baby Skin Care Line which focuses on organic baby skin care products for babies of color! Our baby’s skin care product line-up features baby soaps, oils, and lotions that cleanse, soothe & calm, and moisturize & protect to make your baby’s skin even more touchable, huggable, and healthy. The blends soft scents offer a more complete regimen for your baby from the top of their curls to the tiniest little toe! We currently offer a couple of products with ingredients such as shea butter, milk & honey, and a vaporizing soap, which helps your baby during colds!
The Clear Essence Baby Massage Lotion with Shea & Cocoa Butter soothes, moisturizes and softens baby’s delicate skin. This creamy lotion blends natural shea and cocoa butter to hydrate baby’s skin and leave a glowing, soft texture.
The Clear Essence Baby Lotion with Milk and Honey gives your baby cuddly and soft skin. This sweet smelling baby lotion is enriched with a blend of vitamins, skin softening milk nutrients and soothing honey for smooth and huggable skin. Supply your baby with all the nourishment their skin needs to look and feel angelic by using this rich and creamy lotion daily.
The Clear Essence Baby Oil with Lavender is specially made to hydrate dry skin and leave your baby’s skin with a soft and supple texture. The fast absorbing formula with the natural scent of lavender helps soothe and relax your baby. It helps seal-in vital moisture, keeping your baby’s skin feeling soft, smooth, and silky all day long.